Sunday, September 16, 2012

Little things

I was folding laundry and heard music coming from his room. This is a normal occurrence ever since he started piano lessons four months ago, but the music was different from the lesson book pieces he practices daily. He was playing a Beethoven piece, Moonlight Sonata.

We had spent some time studying Beethoven a few weeks prior, and we learned the story behind the sonata. Ethan listened to it over and over and he did an analysis and critique per my request. I think he understood (as much as an 8-year-old can) what Beethoven was going through when he composed the song and why it sounded so melancholy yet beautiful.

So when I heard him playing it on his keyboard in his room my heart raced a little. He was not learning it in class, and it was not something his teacher mentioned he should try at home.

He was learning it for me.

Countless times I gushed emphatically over this piece of music. Apparently it had an effect.

He smiled when I walked in his room and asked him what he was just playing.

Heart officially melted by an 8-year-old.




No comments: