Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dear Clementine,

You were whiny today. I guess you've been that way lately. But today - whew.
I was ready for your bedtime.

I put Vega to bed first and then came back to you in your room, but you were crying in bed. Sobbing, I think, would be a more appropriate term. You looked so small and I could barely see your face in the dark.


I went to you and asked what was wrong. You were sad because "the brothers" were still watching TV downstairs and you wanted to be a part of it, too, but Daddy said no.


So I lay down with you because I knew that would make you feel better. You were so tired. You closed your eyes and I sang Norah Jones songs to you. I put my forehead to yours, and even though I knew you were sleeping, I gushed about you - to you.


Then it was time to go, and I thought about your day and how tomorrow would be better. I kissed your nose and lips and thought how perfect you look when you sleep - like an angel.


Albeit a whiny, sometimes bossy one. 


2 comments:

Kirsty said...

So beautiful. What a gift this will be for her to read one day :)

Unknown said...

so sweet :)