Monday, May 30, 2011

Little lunch story


I took the family to Pita Jungle for lunch today. I had been craving their mixed beans since I last had them a few days ago - like could -not-get-them-off-my-mind-type-craving, so I pitched the idea to Bobby and off we went.

I ordered plain hummus for an appetizer since Bobby's salmon salad was gonna hold up the rest of our meals for a good 20 minutes and HELLO, we have four kids! Food - any food - and fast. We almost never order an app. Just seems unnecessary and I always get way too full when I do get one. The waitress suggested veggies when I asked what else besides pita bread they have to dip with. Yunno, because of Seb's gluten allergy and all.

Immediately after she left the table I heard a groan and something along the lines of "I HATE THIS GLUTEN FREE LIFE!" Of course, that hurt. No one wants to hear their child say they hate any part of life, even the gluten free parts, and I empathized with him. I know it sucks to not have any regular bread. I get it. I should have just made some of "his kind" at home and brought it with us to dip into the hummus, DUH! But I didn't, and Seb was not thrilled at the thought of dipping vegetables.

So the veggies come, and so is the point of my story - I swear! And we all dig in. All of us except for Sebastian, that is. I pass out the cucumbers, tomatoes, and pita bread to Ethan and Clemmie. I ask Seb if he wants any. He declines.

Finally I lifted a hummus-topped cucumber to Sebastian's mouth and said, "Try it."

He accepted it.

"Do you like it?"

"Mmm-hmm."

"See! I told you!" And it really was good. In fact, I liked dipping the veggies better than the pita bread.

Then Ethan goes, "Can I have some more cucumbers? They're really good with the hummus, Mommy!"

And I'm all, "Pass me your plate." Of course you can have some more. So glad you like it! YAY!

And the next few minutes were filled with us (Sebbie included) enjoying our appetizer.

Later when we got home, Ethan came up to me as I was preparing dinner and whispered in my ear, "You know how I said I liked the cucumbers with the hummus today? Well, I really didn't like it that much, but I just said it so Sebbie wouldn't be sad, because you know, he can't eat the bread."

And right then and there I just wanted to grab his face and kiss him and tell him he was such a sweet boy and to thank him for loving his brother.

And so.
I did.

2 comments:

Marcela said...

OMG! This is the best brother story ever!

Krista said...

Don't kids just melt your heart? What a sweet story!