Friday, June 8, 2012

Mayday, mayday

This past week was an overflowing melting pot of extreme emotions, deadlines, lists, irrational fears, and endings.

Sounds fantastic, I know.

And yet even though it wasn't all sunshine and chocolate, some of it was - and those parts were like little kisses from baby Jesus thrown at me from above, landing on my head like little drops of rain. Or confetti. Yeah, definitely confetti.

See, last week was Sebastian's last day of elementary school. Although the boy is a "mature" 12-year-old, not at all like the naive 12-year-olds of a bygone era, it still put an aching in my heart that I couldn't deny. Yes, he knows about things in life that I wish he didn't yet know. Despite that, I also know that he has a little boy heart and spirit inside of him - and he is growing into a young man right before my eyes. He must be 4 inches taller than me now.

I just hope junior high is kind to him. He's been the big fish these past 7 years in elementary. I'm sort of hoping it either stays that way or he adjusts easily if it doesn't. I guess I know either way he'll be fine - he will just have to figure it out like the rest of us. But figuring it out sometimes really, really sucks. And since I'm his mom, figuring it out better be fucking cool to him.

So where does the confetti come in? Well, we went on vacation right after! Yay! That is like super sparkly rainbow confetti! We went to Puerto Morelos, which is basically Cancun, just a little more private and authentic. We had 7 days of beach, pool, mojitos, cervezas, pina coladas, cool ancient ruins, and the bluest waters around. It was beautiful, the kids had an amazing time, and we all brushed up on our Spanish. Speaking of - I was so thankful to have my Spanish speaking husband there - I know Americans go to Latin American countries all the time, but seriously - to truly communicate with the locals makes for a much better experience. Much easier, too.

That bit of confetti was really nice.

I won't go into the rest of the ickies - fears, emotions, etcetera. Let's just say I suck at flying. I especially suck at flying over water. And I double especially with whipped cream and a cherry on top suck at flying over water with my kids. I made myself physically sick the day we flew back and probably aged about 5 years.

But that's all I'll say about that now. It's actually incredibly boring and I'd rather forget the whole thing completely. Focus on the good - focus on the good.

Which is reminding me - I need a new therapist. This last guy hasn't returned my email. Maybe I scared him off with our phone conversation. Hmmm...... I always divulge too much, too fast, talking 100 miles an hour. But he's a therapist.....shouldn't he be used to weirdos like me?

Okay - I think it's time to sign off. Adios.





2 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Kirsty said...

I feel for you. I suck at flying too. It sucks. So much.