Friday, May 21, 2010

I survived! And a pee story, too!


I woke at 3:30 in the morning, threw some clothes on (probably what I wore the day before - I tend to do that all the time sometimes) and nearly bumped into Sebbie in the hallway. He was excited already. As I mentioned in an earlier post, his and one other class went on a field trip to the Grand Canyon today. I was a nervous wreck this entire week and seriously contemplated not letting him go.

But I did.

So we went to the kitchen where I threw in an ice pack for his lunch and made him a quick breakfast. he grabbed his backpack and pillow and then we were off....at 4 o'clock in the morning. I wasn't even tired at that point, just completely nervous to send my baby off on a 3 and a half hour drive to the deepest canyon in the world, and the place where many people do stuff like THIS like someone did today. OF ALL DAYS. Oh, and thanks park rangers for filling in our 4th grade classes on this lovely little tidbit of information. Nothing like a good ol' dose of trauma and fear on a fun-filled field trip!


Yes, one could say I was a wreck. Nervous, apprehensive, whatever - all of the above and then some. I didn't let him see it, though. I just hugged and kissed him a million times and stood alone on the curb to wave goodbye to him. (The other parents had already walked to their cars at that point and were probably wondering what the heck I was still doing there.) He took the window seat *smart boy* and saw me. I blew him kisses and with no hesitation he blew them right back. I watched the bus til I could no longer see it and walked to my car. There were still people around so of course I had to wait until I was INSIDE my car to sob. And I mean SOB. I even surprised myself with the intensity of my emotion - I mean, he'd be back in the evening!! Get a grip, Crybaby!

I drove back home, got a few more hours of sleep in, then I woke to a mini adventure.

I took Clemmie on her first outing with underwear! Big deal. Huge.

She did fantastic. We went to the mall to buy her a dress for pictures this weekend, and she was amazing. She had to go to the bathroom once, which turned out to be a false alarm, and that was it. Then we went to visit my sister and her new baby Isabella - and again - no accidents!

With her newest cousin, Isabella Anna Marie. They're so beautiful together - I just know one day they'll be best buds. Clemmie already calls her "Bella" and wanted to give her a million kisses.

Sweet!


I was unbelievably proud. As if she just won the Pulitzer at age 2 or something. I know it's just pee and that everyone learns to use the toilet one way or the other, but when it's your kid it's just the coolest thing ever.

Sebbie finally arrived back at school at 8:30 tonight, and seeing his face just made my month. He was incredibly tired, and rightfully so, so I didn't hear too much about what they did, but I know I'll get to hear all about it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it.




5 comments:

Jenny said...

Congratulations (to you) for surviving the field trip. I am sure that you son will remember this for the rest of his life!

Jenny

Mama Hen said...

Little Chick is dancing to your great music!! Thank you for the really nice comment on Mama's Little Chick! I tell you, I was a nervous wreck when Little Chick started preschool this year! I will be a nervous mama with all field trips and "letting go" things that come up. It is so exciting when our kids have a successful potty day!! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

KLZ said...

Lady, I'm practically crying just reading this and he's not my kid. You get to cry!!

Also, I know some people think lady is an offensive way to address people but I mean it all sassy and inclusive. Please don't be offended? Please?

Krista said...

Not offended at all! lol. It takes a lot to do that! ;)

Carol said...

I would have been a nervous wreck too! Glad you both survived the day!